Ayurveda emphasises on “ahara” or food as medicine to control any disease. Psoriasis is not an exception to this. An ayurvedic diet for psoriasis balances aggravated doshas, helps to prevent flareups, nourish body tissues, boost immunity, reduce itching and dryness of skin.
Table of content
Ayurvedic Morning Drinks for Psoriasis.
You can choose anyone of these according to your comfort.
- Drink a glass of bitter gourd or bitter melon juice (karela juice) with a 1 tsp of lemon juice everyday morning on an empty stomach. This helps to cleanse the blood (rakta dhatu) and clear the psoriatic patches.
- Add 2 teaspoons of fresh amla juice (Indian gooseberry juice) to a glass of just warm water and drink this as soon as you wake up in morning.
- Add a teaspoon of Triphala Powder in a glass of hot water. Allow it to steep for 5 minutes. Drink this ayurvedic shot after filtering.
Which foods to avoid in Psoriasis ?
Strictly keep the following foods at bay.
- Alcoholic beverages (madya)
- Garlic (lashuna)
- Fish (matsya) and other marine foods
- Foods, fruits, vegetables which are too sour (amla ahara)
- Milk and milk products
- Black gram (masha)
- Sesame seeds
- Spicy foods (vidahi ahara)
- Say no to acidic foods, white sugar, pickles, sauces, ketchup etc which are too sweet, salty and sour.
- Stale and refrigerated foods.
- Keep processed and chemically treated foods out of your kitchen shelves.
- Red meat
Texts of ayurveda strictly ask us to avoid unhealthy food combinations. These combinations are known as “viruddha ahara” which means opposite foods. These foods which have opposite properties, when consumed do more harm than good. They cause indigestion and liberate “ama” or body toxin which aggravates symptoms of psoriasis. Avoid the following foods and food combinations in Ayurveda diet for psoriasis.
- Do not consume radish (mulaka) and Garlic in excess.
- A combination of radish and jaggery is a strict no.
- Strictly avoid consuming milk and milk products after eating fish and other sea or freshwater foods.
- Never consume long pepper (pippali), Solanum nigrum or black night shade plant (kakamachi) along with yogurt or curd and ghee.
- Avoid consuming green leafy vegetables, milk and alcohol on same day.
- Never combine honey, meat and spices together.
- Do not cook or eat millets and grains along with milk, curd (yogurt) or buttermilk, oil etc.
- Avoid deep fried foods.
- Do not use foods made from all-purpose flour or white flour (maida).
Best ayurvedic foods for psoriasis
You can include the following ayurvedic foods in your psoriasis diet.
- Use red rice as a staple diet.
- Include green gram (moong) for protein.
- Use bitter and astringents foods like bitter gourd, amla (Indian gooseberry), fenugreek leaves and seeds, squashes, melons and gourds.
- You can include very few mild spices in little quantity like cumin seeds, basil, black pepper and rock salt or himalayan pink salt (sendha namak).
- Use nuts and dry fruits like almonds, pistachios, raisins etc.
- Include 2 teaspoons of pure cow ghee (ghruta) per day in your diet.
- Drink 7-8 glasses of warm water daily (sukhodaka).
- Use pure virgin cold pressed coconut oil while cooking
Ayurvedic rules for food habits in psoriasis
- Never consume food when your previous meal is not digested.
- Avoid heavy foods which cause indigestion.
- Do not eat when you are under stress.
- Always consume freshly cooked foods
Get a free email ayurvedic consultation for psoriasis from Dr.Savitha Suri. email@example.com or WhatsApp +91 6360108663