Epsom salt is used as bath salts in many health conditions. This is used for skin detox, to relieve soreness and muscle cramps after a heavy workout by gym goers. It eases stress and also helps to regulate body electrolytes. This salt is still used in England as a remedy for constipation. But a bath with this salt immensely helps in clearing psoriasis scales and soothe skin.
Table of content
What is Epsom Salt ?
Epsom salt is a compound which is also known as “magnesium sulphate ” . This compound contains three elements , magnesium, sulphur and oxygen. This salt was first found in natural springs of Epsom town in England and hence the name Epsom Salt. This salt looks like table salt but very bitter and unpalatable. This salt is popularly known as bath salt as soaking in this is has many health benefits.
What are the Benefits of Epsom Salt Bath in Psoriasis ?
- This salt is being used by naturopaths in treatment of many diseases like psoriasis, acne, pimple, arthritis etc.
- It contains magnesium which we do not get sufficiently through our diet. Whatever benefits we enjoy by using this salt is due to good amount of magnesium present in it.
- Ayurveda practitioners opine that a bath with Epsom salt help to remove dead scales in psoriasis and soothe itchy skin.
- A bath with Epsom salt, dead sea salt, himalayan pink salt, cold pressed virgin coconut oil and tea tree oil will be more effective.
- An Epsom salt bath helps to relieve stress. We all know stress and psoriasis have a strong link. A relief from stress help to heal psoriasis. This also helps to manage flares.
How to Use Epsom Salt in Psoriasis ?
This salt can be used in many ways to soothe skin affected by psoriasis.
Epsom Salt Bath
Mix this salt in your bath tub and soak yourself for a short time. This softens the scale and reduces itching.
In hand and feet psoriasis soak your palms and feet in a tub which contains luke warm water and this salt.
Epsom Salt Scrub
This scrub may irritate skin in some. Please do a patch test before using. Mix 2 tea spoons of Epsom salt in 2 tea spoons of cold pressed virgin coconut oil. Add 3 drops of tea tree essential oil. Use this as body scrub. Do not use this scrub on face as it may damage the delicate skin.
You can use ayurvedic tablets and capsules for psoriasis along with Epsom salt bath.
Caution Before Using Epsom Salt
Always consult your dermatologist or physician before using this.
Take warm, short baths ( 15 minutes) ; rinse and pat your skin dry. After this apply a good moisturising lotion to keep skin hydrated. You can also apply ayurvedic oils for psoriasis or ayurvedic creams for psoriasis to keep your skin hydrated. Neem creams also help people who have dry skin on face.
Anyone who has high blood pressure, diabetes, heart and kidney problems SHOULD NOT use this soak or any other form of Epsom salts.