Neem is a highly praised herb in Ayurveda for its anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial, skin healing, detoxifying and blood purifying properties. Almost all ayurvedic oils for psoriasis contain neem as major ingredient.
Table of content
Neem Tree in Ayurveda
Neem tree has a botanical name Azadirachta indica and belongs to Meliaceae family. This tree is native to India and is also known as “nimba” as it bestows good health. It is referred as “arishta” in texts of Ayurveda as it wards off evil. It is praised as “kushtaghna”, as it is very effective in skin diseases. Leaves, bark, oil and flowers of this tree is used in many Indian ayurvedic home remedies for psoriasis and other diseases.
Ayurveda medicinal properties of neem
Texts of Ayurveda explain medicinal properties of neem as follows
How neem helps in psoriasis ?
Here are points which help to know the usefulness of neem in psoriasis and why ayurveda recommends neem for psoriasis.
It balances psoriasis causing doshas
Based on principles of Ayurveda psoriasis is caused due to imbalance of Kapha dosha and Pitta dosha . Since neem balances these two doshas it is very obvious that it helps in psoriasis to a great extent.
Helps in liver detox
Many researches point towards the link between psoriasis and liver. (Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease and Psoriasis https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4382145/ )
Ayurveda acharyas recommend neem for liver detox. This herb eliminates toxins and allergens from liver, which flare up psoriasis. Hence it is always recommended to drink neem juice in morning while following Ayurveda diet for psoriasis.
Reduces inflammation and itching
This herb has best anti-inflammatory properties. It helps to reduce inflammation of psoriasis patches and soothes the affected skin. Using neem internally and externally helps to reduce itching and irritation.
This ayurvedic herb has notable anti-microbial properties. Its application aids to prevent infection on open cuts and delicate patches of psoriasis. Nimba prevents dandruff and flaking in scalp psoriasis.
How to Use Neem in Psoriasis ?
- Neem capsules or neem juice or neem tea or neem tablets can be consumed twice daily to detox liver and body. These not only manage to prevent flare ups but also reduce intensity of psoriasis. Neem extracts help to boost immunity which is required for psoriasis.
- Ayurvedic oils for psoriasis, which contain neem as main ingredient, can be used for body and scalp massage.
- Many Ayurvedic creams for psoriasis contain this herb in them. They are very useful to soothe and rebuild skin which is assaulted by psoriasis.
- Use ayurvedic soaps for psoriasis while bathing. Usually these contain neem oil in them.
- Ayurvedic shampoos for psoriasis help to control scalp psoriasis.
- The best way is to grow a neem tree in your kitchen or balcony garden and chew its tender leaves daily in empty stomach. This not only helps to detox liver, but also helps in weight loss.
- Add few neem leaves in your bath tub or bathing water. This limits skin infections.
- Neem essential oil or pure neem oil can be used in various ways to fight psoriasis. This oil acts as an effective emollient as it contains various fatty acids and natural vitamin E to help moisturize and soften skin. Here is the best blend. Add 2-3 drops of neem essential oil and 2-3 drops of vetiver essential oil in 15 ml of virgin cold pressed coconut oil. Blend them well. Delicately massage this oil on affected skin and scalp. You can also mix these oils in body lotions, body creams or with pure aloevera gel and use. You can also add 2 drops of tea tree oil for a quick healing.
- Neem powder can be used as hair mask along with other herbs to control scalp psoriasis.
Caution While Using Neem Oil
Neem oil is toxic and do not ingest it or consume it. Pregnant and nursing women should avoid using neem. Consult an ayurvedic physician before using neem for children and elderly.
This oil can cause allergic reaction. Hence do a patch test before using.
Neem oil STINKS!!!, so use other fragrant essential oils like vetiver, lavender, patchouli etc along with this.
Author Dr.Savitha Suri
Get a free email ayurvedic consultation for psoriasis from Dr.Savitha Suri. email@example.com or WhatsApp +91 6360108663